Saturday, February 27, 2010

2/3


Countries Visited: still 6, but that is to change as of this afternoon

Total Louvre Visits: You guys...you would be so proud of me. I've gone to the Louvre like six more times this month. Yes, about four of those were mandatory for my art history class. But still. I'm pretty much a VIP there.

Best Example of Absolute Denial
:

One of these days I'll get around to writing about classes and when I do, you will hear stories of my hilarious art history professor, who likes to insert random English phrases into conversation. Particular favorites are "Shut up!" "Don't speak English!" and a great Pepe Le Pew impression. Whenever "l'amour" is the subject of a painting, he will break into a speech of "My little sweet, my little darling. Let me kiss your hand." This is especially funny, because most French people do not know who Pepe Le Pew is. And even if they do, the full effect is lost on them. Because, you see, in France, Pepe Le Pew is Italian. Yes, the French, undoubtedly enraged at our decision to characterize them as amorous skunks, have decided to pretend that we really meant to insult their neighbors to the south-east.

Basically, Italians are to the French what the French are to Americans. They drink strong coffee, appreciate good food and wine, are fashionable and enjoy (as one of my friend's host mothers put it) "sport in bed."So why shouldn't Pepe be Italian?

Most Common Dinner Subject:

I don't know if you know this, but Americans are fat. Like really, hugely fat. When we go to the beach, whales swim away in fear. At least, this is what people continue to tell me. The subject of fat Americans is brought up weekly by my host family, who are fascinated by the eating habits of my compatriots. Kathleen, a new American girl arrived to live with my host family about a month ago, and we are both subjected to questioning about our food consumption. A sample conversation is below:

HS (Host Sister): Kathleen, you never eat very much.
Kathleen: Well, at home my mother is always on a diet. So I'm used to small portions.
HM (Host Mom): Oh.....what are the portions like at your house Alanna?

I tried to answer her, but as I don't know the French word for trough, the conversation didn't get very far.

Worst (Best?) Restaurant Chain: Indiana...the Tex-Mex restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment