Friday, December 11, 2009

PSA

Just a friendly announcement about the blog:

I am often very ambitious in my post-writing. I start typing, and tell myself that I am going to finish that night...or within three days...or maybe before next week. And then tests and papers and (more often) sleep and Facebook get in my way. And the madness finally ends at 2:00 some random morning when I decide that I will type whatever pops into my head until it is long enough to be called a post. Which explains why I sound like a crazy, sleep-deprived person in so many of my entries.

Anyway, the date on the posts is the date that I started writing them, and that is the order in which they go on the blog. It makes me look like a more responsible blogger than I really am, but it also means that you may not see new posts because they are sandwiched between old ones. So it's worth scrolling down periodically, or just checking the list of posts on the side to see if there are new entries.

So, the important point, which could have been stated much more succinctly: Scroll down to check for new posts.

Thank you and have a pleasant day.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Ducky Woman, (Ha Ha)

    You are mistaken - this tag does not suit you. Sorry I have fallen so behind in reading your posts, but I am gradually catching up with your news and insights. I am sure you are looking foreward to your break from classes. Your Dad has told me that you have been busy finishing up your papers and projects. I am sure everything has gone well as far as your studies are concerned. Before I forget, I guess the museums are open once again, after experiencing the strikes by employees over cutbacks. At least, the strikes didn't last long.

    I really enjoyed reading about your weekend in Dublin and your reflections about your "Irishness." When I read about the busdriver who walked you toward your hostel and the man who helped pay for Eunice's shampoo, I said to myself, "That is where I want to be. I wouldn't feel like I were crazy if I lived there." You are so right about the "diversity" in the States, but this only seems to lead to divisiveness and anomie (sp?), at least, it seems this way to me. I think it would be so reassuring to live in a place where taxi drivers cross themselves when they drive by a church (I noticed this when we were all there that August). What is wrong with this? I guess I am showing my age when I say things like this. Or maybe it is a result of working in a job with young people and thinking there is not much hope for the future, at least not in a place like Los Angeles.

    You seem to be faring the holidays away from home well and why not, when you have Rome to look forward to for Christmas??!! There is no better or more meaningful place to be for Christmas. Please say a prayer for all of us (living and dead) in St. Peter's...

    I love your pictures of Versailles, with the trees in various shades of fall. And now, you can look forward to your return in spring, with the gardens in bloom or almost bloom.

    Aunt Helen always talked about the special treatment she received when she toured the Guinness brewery when she told them she owned the Irish pub in Long Beach. Surprisingly, I rather like the taste of Guinness and I really do not like regular beer. I always remember Michele telling us that Doctors prescribed Guinness to pregnant women in Germany! Eileen and I saw Germans drinking beer at 7:00 a.m. when we were traveling. Their physiology can withstand the stuff much better than the Irish.

    It is obvious from your blog that you are learning so much through this experience - not just about other cultures, the language, etc., but about yourself, too. That is making this year even more valuable to you in helping you see what makes you happy and where you want to be in terms of your future. You are truly making the most of your opportunities and your family is so proud of you.

    You can also take great pride in what you have done to dispel your house mom's stereotype of the rotund, beer-swigging, unattractive Irish hussey. I thought the French were open-minded and cosmopolitan in their outlook?

    Good luck in your final week of school and have a wonderful trip to Rome. I will talk to you soon.

    Love,
    "Aunt" Mary

    P.S. Don't you know the rainbow in Phoenix Park was just for you???

    ReplyDelete