Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Here We Go Again




Another update! You lucky, lucky people. Be thankful that (a) I am feeling bored and narcissistic right now (b) I had my first class today, and thought that you might like to know how it went.

I'll be taking five classes overall, but this week I only have my two program center classes to worry about. Today, I woke up bright and early and headed off to my first class, the title of which roughly translates to "The History of Paris Through Its Monuments." The class meets for four hours one day a week, and is split into two parts. It starts with an hour and a half of lecture, followed by an hour-long lunch break, and finally an hour and a half of site visits. Over the course of the semester, we will study (and then visit) the Louvre, l'Opera Garnier, the Montparnasse neighborhood and the Centre Pompidou (among others). I know, my life is rough.

Today's excursion took us to the Ile de la Cite, one of two islands (the other being l'Ile Saint-Louis) in the middle of the Seine. The city essentially started here, so some of Paris's oldest buildings are found on the island. We saw Sainte-Chapelle and the Palais de Justice from the outside, then headed over to Notre Dame. Is it bad that this was playing in my head the whole time? I think not.

In all seriousness, the cathedral is absolutely wonderful, even if there are no musically-inclined hunchbacks hanging out in the bell tower. It's hard to believe that it was pretty neglected for years, until the appearance of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, after which everyone realized that it was a pretty cool building. It is, in fact, considered an example of perfect proportions. Apparently it is the Baby Bear of cathedrals, not too big, not too small, but just right. Given the fact that it's been standing for over 700 years, despite the French Revolution and years of neglect, I think I would have to agree.

Coming Attractions
-a rundown of my Sweet Briar theater class (which starts tomorrow morning)
-a commemoration of my first month in France
-a post on the parks of Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment